[kj] Gathering Digest, Vol 101, Issue 10 Rammstein

Marcel spooman at freenet.de
Sun Dec 11 18:06:51 EST 2011

Am 11.12.2011 22:05, schrieb gathering-request at misera.net:

Hey, I'm german and I hated Rammstein when they started and when
listening to their first two records after visiting a show last week I
know why: Most of the first two records - except for the two, or three
odd hits - is rubbish. Might have been cool at the time, but only
because of the "shock-effect". Everrrry newshound herrre starrrrted to
howl at theirrr lyrrrics and attitude, which was totally ironic from the
very start - calculated and not naive as they claim - those guys aren't
dumb....
Back then they used to be just sex, violence and rrrrrrrrr, but with
"Mutter", which one of them claims to be their masterpiece in a recent
interview in the german Rolling Stone they started to change. "Links 2 3
4" has a clear political message that leaves no room for ambiguity. It
says: Fuck those who envy our success, we're leftists. By the way
"Mutter" would be a good choice for starters for a newcomer... Lyrically
their masterpiece would be "Reise, Reise" in my humble opinion, as they
manage to merge the usual drama with irony and a bunch of rather clever
citations of classical stuff. F.e. "Dalai Lama" is a pretty good modern
mock version of Goethe's ballad "Erlkönig".

Sure: pull the plug and they're out. That is very true. I personally
don't care about pyros and stuff, but that opera kinda show thing does
work out. Lindemann, being called "one of the best frontmen" actually
hardly moves at all except for his head/bodybanging and a few moves when
throwing flames in one way or another. hm....

One comment here on a CD package struck me as a perfect comment on
Rammstein as a whole, and not in a necessarily negative way:

The thing is an annoying size and sticks out in my collection

cheers, Marcel