[kj] OT: Summer 2011

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 8 23:39:06 EDT 2011

Hey there, Gatherers...

Firstly, I want to say that I hope one and all my dear British friends
on this list are out of harm's way this evening. I've only heard
sporadic bits of news of what's going on, and it also sounds quite
disturbing. Be safe everyone.

Sorry to have been out of touch, but it's been a busy period of late.
More to the point, my father passed away suddenly on Thursday, and
it's been quite a surreal situation, to say the least. Suffice to say,
my and my sister's relationship with the man was unconventional at
best (he pretty much divorced my mother when I was born, and went on
to marry five more times....that's right, five). There's a mountain of
red tape facing my sister and I right now, and I don't think I've ever
been as overwhelmed in my life.

I will say this: Don't waste your time on grudges and bad blood. If
you're currently in a feud with someone you care about, sort that shit
out now before it's too late. It's a horrible cliche, but life is too
fucking short to waste on stupid grudges.

Mend fences with those you love. At the end of the day, nothing else
matters, and trust me -- being left with unanswered questions, painful
secrets and sentiments left unexpressed is a very heavy price to pay.

be well, everyone.

- Alex in NYC