[kj] GEM label pressing history?

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:15:16 EDT 2011

I have JEM pressings of the 1st several KJ albums, bought near UIUC campus
c. 1985-6. They are clearly official, American pressings - as usual,
typical, inferior manufacturing standards to UK and especially German vinyl
of the time. I have Night Time from Germany c.1985.

Fire Dances on JEM vinyl sounded especially reedy in a bad way - little bass
and harsh treble -- obviously the master mix is whacked, but more
objectionable than anything UK/DE/FR would have likely let out. I re-eq'd
Fire Dances for home use based on the c.'90 CD, with a notch around 2.2KHz,
a lukewarm bass boost (for the times...) and a bit of sensible limiting.

The remaster is a fair-and-balanced presentation. Mid-80s speakers didn't do
bass even as much as a lot of listeners are used to from earbuds today -
which may be gutless but produce some type of low bass. A lot of the mixes
showed the limitations typical of the current gear. And remember: damned
cassette.

--Mark