[kj] Warm up show at the Fleece?? Now Ultravox

folk devil folk.devil at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 11:35:28 EDT 2010

Only one single as the Normal, but Danny Miller also founded Mute and Novamute, and gaves us some excellent techno ta boot! :D
Plastikman, Luke Slater......

From: j at jlancaster.info
To: gathering at misera.net
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:08:41 +0100
Subject: Re: [kj] Warm up show at the Fleece?? Now Ultravox

Well, I’m quite partial to the old commercial synth stuff. Still got a massive soft spot for the Human League even now - takes me back to my childhood as I was totally obsessed with them when I was 9 years old in 1981 and had just discovered music and buying records. (They seem to come to Manchester every year or so in December and we always go – it’s like pantomime.)

Saw Ultravox earlier this year. Was never a big fan – only knew a handful of singles - but just kind of fancied it, and really enjoyed the gig. (Fell in love with Mr X – great track.) Shamefully I’ve still not heard the Foxx era albums.

Try as I might, I have never got into Metamatic, (with the exception of the brilliant Underpass), however I’ve a lot of respect for John Foxx and the part he played in the early days of Depeche Mode (was Gareth Jones’ mentor and persuaded a reluctant Jones to work with them as they were trying to harden their sound – leading to what we have today). I also saw him supporting the League a few tours ago – my best friend had never heard of him and thought he was singing “underpants”!

<<< Do you guys agree that Depeche Mode carried on the good work that the original Human League dropped with Dare? >>>

Never really thought about it like that, but I suppose they did yes. Both bands went in opposite directions; HL going pop and leaving the experimental stuff behind, and DM doing the exact opposite.

<<< Were there more Normal records than just the famous single??? >>>

AFAIK, just the single. Dan Miller’s album was the Silicon Teens one, I believe. I’ve never heard it; the clip I saw on “Synth Britannia” looked too bad even for my tastes.

(Also booked to see Numan and (my hero Alan Wilder aka Recoil) in Manchester yesterday. Chuffties.)

Cheers,
Janean