[kj] OT: The Cult alumni

TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Sun Oct 10 18:43:45 EDT 2010

Alexander Smith wrote:

I know they're a bit of a polarizing band here on the Gathering (despite being old touring mates, i believe, of Killing Joke from
back in the day), but I was recently motivated to do a bit of research. It seems the The Cult are touring the States yet again. I've
seen them live more times than you can do a wavey goth arm dance at, but haven't felt motivated to keep doing so after the last
couple of go-arounds. They're still pretty entertaining (and Billy Duffy remains both a great guitar player and once exceptionally
nice gent). That said, I'm not sure there's much life in the outfit anymore.

(snip)

I follow the band on a couple message boards and knew about Stewart's "new" career. There's a number of former notable 80's
musicians who've moved on to more mundane careers. I remember original Lords Of The New Church drummer Nicky Turner married some
actress who starred in the Power rangers show and become some record company guy.

Speaking of The Cult, they're actually recording and releasing every few months what they call "capsules" which are basically
digital EPs sold on USB thumb drives, downloads or old fashioned vinyl 12" records that include a couple new songs and a couple live
songs from their last two tours. One of the new songs, "Every Man And Woman Is A Star" is pretty decent. Last year they did a
string of dates where they played the entire Love album along with about 6 hits. Right now, they're doing a bit more traditional
set on their current US tour although they are (finally) playing a few deeper cuts live like "White" and New York City" as well as
several of the new tunes.

I don't think they're quite done, but like you, I haven't had an urge to see them the past couple years even though I've probably
seen them about a dozen times dating back to 1985. They *really* need to dig a lot deeper into their catalog and play a lot more
long neglected tunes for the hardcore fans who are basically what they're playing to these days.

T.B.