[kj] Jaz-like comments

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Fri Nov 5 18:31:00 EDT 2010

FACT: Worst-case scenario, we have the ability to replace all computer and
network systems in use today, as evidenced by the fact that we already do on
a regular basis.

FACT: Most important data is stored in multiple geographically remote
regions, across several hard disks, some of which are dedicated to storing
redundant data, which enables it to be regenerated in the event of a loss of
a certain percentage (differs depending on how much money you throw at it,
obviously those in control of important data have a mandate to ensure it's
stored & backed up securely).

FACT: Electromagnetic energy has no effect on fiber-optic cable, which
carries signals encoded in pulses of light, ironically. Which isn't to say
that it wouldn't fry computer and network equipment, copper cable ,
satellites, satellite transmissions / GPS, hard disk and magnetic tape
storage etc.

FACT: Electromagnetic pulses can be thwarted by a simple faraday cage, which
is incorporated into the design of some data centres.

Surely civil unrest is more likely to result from continued and further
economic crises? (E.g expanding and contracting the supply of money and
credit, as the US signalled it will do again this week to the tune of $600B,
pumping shares and commodities right up...at least when pegged vs the
nominal value of the USD)