[kj] (OT) Films (was Berman Amps and 2001: A Space Odyssey)

Karen Weil karen.weil at sddt.com
Fri May 7 20:09:16 EDT 2010

Cannot stand "Sound." There.

k.w.
SoCal
----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Harper
To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:08 AM
Subject: [kj] (OT) Films (was Berman Amps and 2001: A Space Odyssey)

That's another 'classic' film I really don't get.

Amusing anecdote: I can't recall the name, but there's a Japanese film director who was one of the first filmmakers, having began his career in the 1920s with several silent movies. Like a few (and only a few!) other filmmakers, he wasn't happy when sound came along, believing that silent film was the pinnacle of cinematic expression. When sound took over, he left the profession. Since the 1930s he had only watched one film. He couldn't remember what the title was, only that it involved a woman and lots of kids singing on a mountain somewhere.

J.