[kj] Extremities

fatpotanga fatpotanga at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 05:28:18 EDT 2010

On 18 Mar 2010, at 00:56, Matthew Burke wrote:

> i think extremities is one of the most complete and perfect things they ever did, the recording style merely reaffirmed the "punk" in their post-punk pedigree.

I'd agree.
It's such an visceral outpouring of emotion following the band being repeatedly kicked in the crotch.
It's like they got complacent after Night time/BTATS they thought could do anything with Outside the Gate.
Proof that to go forwards you often have to come back a step.

As for recording style one should remember that this is 20 years old & studio techniques & trends change as much as the clothes of the time.
It sounded amazing when I first heard it.
I bought it at this long gone place in Manchester & as I handed over the case the guy got the disc out & said to his colleague, "Man, you gotta hear the intro to this" put in the shops CD & played MINOG at full tilt in the shop. We then listened to 3 or 4 tracks before he finally took it out & let me pay. I missed my train. I didn't care but i was so excited by it.

There's not a single album I don't like at least something off.
Democracy for me being the weakest which is almost like another BTATS/OTG in that they had a fantastically received album then a half hearted one thrown on the back of it.
What I loved about KJ is that (bar the last two) no two albums sound the same.

So - Pandamonium vs extremities?
Both great (although I hate the drumming in Black Moon) so for me it's down to whatever suits my mood at the time.

--
YAY SALE!
http://www.iamscuzzy.com