[kj] Extremities

Leigh Newton angrytomhanks at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 02:21:06 EDT 2010

Extremities is fantastic. Certainly the fast part in the Beautiful Dead and parts like it have that Ministry "Mind is a Terrible Thing" vibe and sound dated as hell now but I think it was just a matter of them trying to "keep up with the joneses". Trying to stay relevent to the kids while still retaining their own unique sound. I think it's a nice blend and I love that they attempted it. I don't think it's the first time they deviated from their standard sound and tried to take on different contemporary styles. Pretty much everything from Nighttime and on sees them melding their style to what was current at the time. The idea of Killing Joke absorbing the musical climate at any given time, putting it through their own filter and spitting it back out is one that I'm totally into. I'll take that from most bands, actually. Pandemonium and Democracy both have standout tracks but are also lousy with filler. Extremities is a much more solid album. I
think it's the last really relevent thing they did, although KJ2003 comes close.

Leigh

http://www.nightruiner.com
http://www.myspace.com/thesunthroughatelescope
http://www.myspace.com/lauderdale