[kj] Endgame(s)mix

phil phil.tofield at virgin.net
Wed Mar 3 19:08:28 EST 2010

With respect Oliver, there is a big difference between sounding raw
and bad production. The Radcliffe session that you mention was
(correct me if I'm wrong) recorded in the BBC Maida Vale studio,
quite probably one of the best live recording studios in the world.
The BBC know what they are doing when it comes to producing live
bands, listen to any episode of Later with Joolz for proof of that.

The production on Hosannas was just BAD. The entire album was just a
wall of conflicting overdriven frequencies, resulting in a muddy and
incoherent mix. If it comes down to personal taste, and you happen to
like muddy and incoherent, then fine. I dont, and I dont believe its
what Killing Joke should sound like with 30+ years of experience under
their belt.

The bottom line is this - a well produced album will not only sound
better, but will sell better. And what Killing Joke need most at this
late stage in their career is sales! As Pete said, they need us now
more than we need them, and another piss poor album could be the end
of them.

This is just my opinion of course. You can tell me to stick it up my
arse if you like, horses for courses, and all that....

phil