[kj] The Complications opening for Killing Joke in Montreal

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 3 11:13:20 EST 2010

Right.

Killing Joke opened for Motley Crue. Times have changed.

Not that KJ were ever part of the same sort of scene spoken of in, say
"The Day the Country Died" (UK grassroots DIY etc., even though they did
that weird thing with Honey Bane, who was on Crass Rex) or in the
underground network that deveoped of he sort in "American Hardcore."

Still, I remember a time when a odunk, grassroots meaningless,
let-s-just-automatically-refer-to-them-with-contempt-and-derision-for-no-good-reason
type of band, Minor Threat, opened for PiL. Minor Threat were paid a
pizza and coca-cola. You can hear Ian macKaye recount this experience
bitterly in a few interviews. Lydon pulled up in a limo or something and
refused to even meet Minor Threat. They were a podunk grasroots local
band who weren't important, after all.

-Oliver