[kj] In excelsis on Last.fm.

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Fri Jun 11 11:26:51 EDT 2010

Anyone else notice that the Xfm listing has the EP released through Interscope Canada? There is, of course, nothing on the Interscope site and no other association that I could find. I assume there will be some sort of North American distribution, however.

So here's how it breaks down on Amazon so far:

www.amazon.de : lists "In Excelsis" with a release date of July 2

www.amazon.ca : lists "Industrial Suicide" with a relase date of June 15
www.amazon.co.uk : lists "In Excelsis" 10" Vinyl only / no release date

www.amazon.com : lists "Feast of Fools" (Jpn) only / no release date

Nice see the usual parties have their sh*t together, as usual.

With regards to "In Excelsis":

I rarely participate in these debates over the subjective quality of a track and I am the first to admit that my favorite group has produced their fair share of duff tracks ("Lanterns of Hope", I'm looking at you). With that being said:

1. The currently available version is a grab off satellite radio. I burned it to disc and played it in my car and it sounds like it was recorded inside of a fish tank. Let's wait to hear the actual final mix before passing judgment.

2. It is a two-chord basher in keeping with Jaz's tribal aesthetic, i.e. "throw away your iPods and dance around the fire." "Are You Receiving" has one chord and is extremely repetitive. And I love it for just that.

3. The keyboards are a nice touch and a reference to Jaz's classical leanings. I will be curious to hear how they play in the actual mix.

4. There are a lot of more subtle things going on in the mix that I think are lost because of the poor track quality. There are some interesting fills and half-time drums and Geordie's guitar drops out of buzzsaw mode on several occasions. Again, I think Youth has potentially added some subtle elements that are simply not apparent on this mix.

5. The melody follows the same "8-bar motif repeated 4 times" that Jaz has used since, frankly, "NightTime." Geordie plays a lot of eighth-notes, which is a nice change from "HFTBOH" where I think he just clothespinned a playing card to his kid's bike spokes and plugged it into an amp. Repetition has been a hallmark of their schtick since Day 1.

Blah, blah, blah, you get the idea.

Not the greatest KJ track I've heard, but it still gives me hope for the new album. I found myself unconsciously singing the chorus under my breath this morning, so it got to me, regardless.

This is ostensibly a b-side or bonus track, correct? If so, it is where it should be.