[kj] OT: New Stranglers Single

Geoffrey ODonoghue go1845 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 22:16:04 EST 2010

I'm also a big Stranglers fan having stuck with them through all their various incarnations (Although the release of the largely unlistenable "10" was a significant low point. I even like "Written in Red")!
This new track is good but not great. The Stranglers can produce this kind of track without even trying - I prefer it when they push the envelope a bit. But it's good to see new material from them even if it's just two tracks on another compilation. This seems to be the first compilation that includes tracks from every album so that's a plus because there is good material to be heard between the departure of Hugh and their resurgence with "Norfolk Coast".
That's Baz on vocals unless I'm mistaken

GeoffInBlack

--- On Tue, 23/2/10, Darren A. Peace <dpeace at bigfoot.com> wrote:

a)      I love the Starnglers (apart, obviously, from Written In Red, which is shite)
b)      It took several searches for Starnglers on iTunes before I was sensible
c)       The new single is OK. I dislike the Oasis vocal tune in the verse (particularly unfortunate considering the subject matter)
d)      I would rate it higher if they hadn’t comparatively recently released their finest track (since Mr Cornwell joined his acapella band), the majestic Spectre Of Love, from their finest album (since Mr Cornwell &c.), the majestic Suite XVI
e)      Oh all right, Norfolk Coast is better than 10 too
f)       At least JJ is singing it
g)      Does the world really need another Starnglers compilation?

Darren
Hungerford, UK