[kj] KJ in March MOJO: More on ATP shenanigans

Rheinhold Squeegee kjlist at live.com
Tue Feb 16 17:10:27 EST 2010

(from an article noting the tenth anniversary of ATP / page 120 of the March 2010 MOJO)

"We've always said at ATP that if you're an asshole, then we won't ask you back," he (organizer Barry Hogan) laughs. We're thinking of getting a poster made up for "The Assholes of ATP"! We'd put on every single one of those bands that played ATP and were right fucking assholes. Killing Joke could headline, with Butthole Surfers supporting! We try to treat people as we'd like to be treated. It's very people-friendly..."

And then he goes on to mock Cheap Trick, so he has my invitation to copulate with himself vigorously.

So, this has to be about more than a little weed on stage. I've never been, but ATP comes off as an indie-hipster love fest with remarkably parochial expectations of participants, i.e. be rebellious, but direct that rebellion only at approved targets. I've read extensive interviews with Mr. Hogan and he sounds like he's organizing a freshman mixer in a Catholic school basement somewhere.

When did the Puritans take over rock-n-roll?

A little perspective, though: I know the management of the club KJ played in Minneapolis in 2004 and they found Jaz' antics hilarious, including his repeated requests for "side-fill" on a 25-foot-wide stage. I think they felt his high expectations were not warranted by the 240 paid admissions. They did say Geordie and Raven were lovely, however. And really, really stoned.