[kj] Sorry NYC, Pontiac was Better

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 10:56:08 EST 2010

All right. I've seen Killing Joke 6 times now. Starting with the Pandemonium tour. 3 times in MI. 3 times in NY. And last nights show is in the top 3. I am not sure of order but Pandemonium tour, AD Tour Pontiac and second night of 2008 NYC (simply because the sound was better, the band was great both nights). But I really think Irving Plaza is the major culprit for the "problems".
Last night they were tight and the sound was fantastic. No problems what so ever, no one looking down at the set list. Youth only did backup vocals on Madness and Pssyche. And it helped.
Geordie sounded fucking awesome. I've never had complaints of their mix in Detroit. Now playing devils advocate it may be because Geordie is sort of a local celebrity (ex-wife and son still live here) and they put more attention to detail.
Everyone played great. I mean really great. It may have been the best performance that I've seen of them.
Unlike NYC the majority of people there were over the age of 40. And that is being kind.
Probably half the amount people (if it was actually in Detroit I think it would have been a lot better). Everyone hates Pontiac as a city. Crime, no cops, pain in the ass to get to, all the usual complaints. The venue itself is great.

The setlist didn't change much. I think the order is pretty accurate below. I wrote it down (yes I was that guy) but do not have it with me.

Tomorrow's World
Love Like Blood
Change
Wardance
Bloodsport
European
Superstate
Absolute
DissentMadness
Fall of Because
Ghosts of Ladbroke
Grove
The Great Cull
The Wait
This World
Hell
Requiem
Asteroid
Pssyche

Eighties
Pandemonium
So they cut out a couple of songs. And I think it is because the show got started later. Why? Because the lame ass opening band that drove from Chicago was late. And they were the first band. I don't know why they didn't switch the openers around. The local band that played second sucked equally, but in a "oh I just bought a Pere Ubu lp and it changed my life".I am miffed about the Chicago band. They were mediocre, on Invisible (that should be a hint right there), and did a fucking lame ass cover of Burning inside (yep....Ministry). This is almost as bad as doughy faced lame fuck Watchtower whatever band on the last tour playing the intro to Love Like Blood. A friend joked that they were Ministry 101 (before hearing the cover). I said 102 because they were more like Psalm 69 era (but without the power and talent).Enjoy them in Chicago while you're at the bar.
Anyways. It was a great show and it looks like they have hit their stride. Remember that NYC was the first night so everyone may still have been jet lagged.
Chris & Meghann in Detroit