[kj] (OT) How to Save The Music Industry

ceplaster at aol.com ceplaster at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 14:10:34 EDT 2010

To add my own response to Mr. McGuinness...

I buy my music through i-tunes. I occasionally download torrents of OUT-OF-PRINT things that I can't find elsewhere.
The only thing that stops me from buying more stuff through I-tunes is that I have a hard time finding new music that doesn't suck! If the bar was set a little higher out there I might be more willing to spend more.
I remember a while back someone telling me that the established labels were staying afloat primarily from back catalog sales and not from new releases. Don't know if that is still the case, but wouldn't be surprised. Having said that, that is why a C to C+ Killing Joke record is still going to be a much better listen than some new bands best.
While I totally agree that artists should get paid for their work, I will not give my money to artists who are lousy. As much as internet piracy might be an issue, crappy music and dumb fuck a&r men are a far bigger problem. -CP