[kj] OT: The Damned now random thread

Neil Perry 65snoopy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 08:43:24 EDT 2010

The story of Kevin Rowland's slow descent into madness is one of the
more interesting pop stories of the 80s/90s. Remember when Dexys
reappeared after all the initial stardom with a new LP,
and they were all dressed in neat preppie clothes and had tidy haircuts?
I think that was the start of it.

I went to a party at a work colleague's flat sometime in the mid 90s
and there was what looked like a guy who'd been living on the street
sat on the sofa (where no one else would dare sit). Ripped clothes, huge
tramp beard, long straggly hair, staring straight ahead and not speaking.
He stayed there most of the evening... indeed it was Mr Rowland. He
freaked everyone out for about 4 hours and then left. It wasn't until he
left that
someone told us who it was - had we known we could have had a big knees up
to Come On Eileen or something to cheer him up. He cut a pretty sad figure.