[kj] OT: The Damned

gingoblin at easynet.co.uk gingoblin at easynet.co.uk
Fri Apr 23 07:00:20 EDT 2010

At 12:41 22/04/2010 -0500, you wrote:

>You learn something new every day.

>I'd like to submit this is a primary cause of confusion latecomers - we

>pick up CDs (or in my case, even cassettes!) and see thd "bonus tracks"

>not marked as such, think it's part of the standard LP, and think, "Oh,

>cool, Lemmy, et. al." were on this LP! So I was under the impression for

>the longest time that Machine Gin Etiquette as almost this super group LP

>with members of Motorhead and The Saints chiming in. I know Algy's story,

>but I had always thought Lemmy did more bass at that time for The Damned

>than just "Ballroom Blitz."

>Oh well.

>-0liver

They recorded two songs... Ballroom Blitz and Over The Top. As I'm sure you
can imagine with the Damned and Motorhead in 1979, the session ended in
chaos! Apparently Fast Eddie stormed out when Captain started holding up
big signs with the chords written on them 'cos Eddie kept trying to play
some fancy blues lick.

As I think has been mentioned, Lemmy did one gig with them under the name
Les Punks/The Doomed in September 1978. One thing that often goes unnoticed
is that Gary Holton (singer from Heavy Metal Kids, and "Wayne" in UK TV
programme Auf Weidersehen Pet !!) actually did a few gigs on vocals around
Xmas '78. Vanian never turned up and they had a Scottish tour booked, so
off they went! They would start each gig by saying that Vanian had died,
and that they were doing the gigs as tribute to him! Meant they always got
away with the ramshackle performance that followed! Classic Damned!!!

Dave in Edinburgh