[kj] OT: The Damned (was: Top 50 of 2000-2010)

gingoblin at easynet.co.uk gingoblin at easynet.co.uk
Fri Apr 23 06:50:46 EDT 2010

At 11:25 22/04/2010 -0500, Oliver wrote:

>3. 1978 _Music for Pleasure_ LP, amazing punk rock album/document, yet

>also wholly written by Bryan James except Dave Vanian gets a "co-writing"

>song crdit for the song "Your ys" off said LP. At this point most members

>of The Damned wantd to write their own songs and were sick of James. They

>broke up and "disowned" this LP thanks to James's dictatorial control.

I think they disowned the LP because they genuinely didn't like it, not
because of Brian James. It was the common story of having ages to write the
first LP, with the second one being a rush and therefore lacking in
quality. Brian wasn't overly keen on the others writing, which perhaps
wasn't a problem with the first, but his songs just weren't up to standard
on the second (in the band's opinion... and mine actually!). Also, wanting
Syd Barrett to produce it ended up with Nick Mason actually doing it, which
really wasn't what they were looking for. Then add in the personal problems
and it was a pretty unhappy time for the Damned. The songs aren't that
great, the production isn't what they wanted, and the band was falling
apart anyway. I can see why it all adds up to them wanting nothing to do
with this LP. But yeah, some people really like it! But not Vanian,
Sensible or Scabies!

Dave in Edinburgh