[kj] Top 50 songs of 2000-2010

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 20 12:43:43 EDT 2010

In the very early 90's, I was working for a long-since-vanished music rag called The New York Review of Records. At one point, I called up Dischord, because I knew there was a new Fugazi project on the way. I left a message with someone. About three weeks later, I came home (I was living at home at the time, had only graduated from college the year before) and my Mom says that a very nice, well-spoken young man named Ian had called and they chatted. Basically, MacKaye was finally calling me back. I thought that was damn nice of him, although the notion of him and my Mom chatting on the phone still makes me laugh.

My Mom also briefly talked with Martin Atkins in a similar circumstance.

Oh, and Fugazi *DID* have a sense of humor. Witness:

http://vassifer.blogs.com/alexinnyc/2009/12/sharing-some-laughs-with-fugazi.html

Alex in NYC