[kj] Top 50 songs of 2000-2010

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 20 12:29:21 EDT 2010

That is also true.

As a younger fan boy (well, still am one) I wrote Ian MacKaye letters
two times about what certain lyrics meant in their albums, and also why
the cassette version of Repeater had this prominent political quotation
in the artwork by Spanish existentialist philosopher Jose Ortega y
Gassett (!), whereas this quotation does not appear on the vinyl or CD
versions of the release's artwork. He responded that a friend of theirs
put the quote in the album art, and the band didn't like it, so they
took it out from the vinyl and CD versions. I still have that cassette
with that quote.

Anyway yeah, Ian MacKaye did write me back the two times I tried to
think of reasons to write him, fan boy as I was. I quit trying to write
him after the second time, as I felt dumb doing it. He as always
incredibly nice, though, in the letters.

-0liver