[kj] Top 50 songs of 2000-2010

gingoblin at easynet.co.uk gingoblin at easynet.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 07:02:00 EDT 2010

Fugazi are still in the top gigs I've ever seen. First time they played in
Scotland... 1988 or '89... I recall laughing at a couple of guys in the
crowd with Marillion and Fish t-shirts on, obviously under the
misapprehension it was some sorta secret gig by one of those horrors
(apologies to the people who like Marillion!!). Fairly sparse crowd so lots
of room for everyone to dance, and they just fucking blew the place away.

The band always remembered that gig fondly because during Suggestion lots
of girls got up on the stage to dance. The funny thing was that the first
girl to get up and start the invasion was a well-known total drunk that
usually caused some sort of trouble... like getting up onstage and being an
arsehole! Fortunately this time she managed to keep her balance!

But every song was a classic, and I don't think there was one person who
wasn't raving about 'em afterwards. All kinda went downhill after that tour
though... hordes of arseholes insisting they stage-dive ruined all the gigs
I saw on the next tour... in London someone even tried to have a go at Guy.
The music was still great, but they just attracted too many wankers. Later
years were hit and miss.. one time would be great, the next not-so. Kinda
depended on the set for me. Last time I saw 'em was Glasgow Barrowlands in
2002, with the hall lights on (some places this is fine, but not Glasgow
Barrowlands... I don't wanna see the monsters I'm surrounded by!)... wasn't
very good really. Then the car broke down on the way home and I ended up
sitting in the back of a cop car for 90mins waiting on a tow truck... not
good! (That bit wasn't Fugazi's fault though... or was it?!)

I'd go and see 'em again at the drop of a hat though. And ultimate respect
to the way they dealt with "the business". They would always reply to
whatever nonsense you sent them too... very very few bands do that. I
think I'll dig out an album right now actually!

Dave in Edinburgh