[kj] OT: Edingburgh, German invasion mk III

Pagan scotgothwitch at sky.com
Mon Sep 14 12:35:46 EDT 2009

The only gig in Edinburgh that I'm aware of within those dates is the Cult at the HMV Picture House on Lothian Road on the 7th. Mr Gingoblin, I'm sure, probably knows better than me what else might be going on gig-wise. Dave could probably give you some decent pub recommendations as well seeing as he lives in town, while I'm the country bumpkin who works on the outskirts and only ventures into the city centre on the odd occasion these days!

My tuppence worth on pubs/food:

The Black Bull Tavern on Leith Street. Used to be a great rock pub although the last time I was in, it was an odd and uncomfortable mix of the old crowd and a bunch of neds. Friends who were recently in there reckon it seems to be okay these days.

The Black Rose Tavern on Rose Street. Run by a couple I know, small but nice rock pub.

The Beehive Inn in the Grassmarket. Good, reasonably priced food in a mainstream pub.

Guilianos restaurant across the road from the Playhouse, on Union Place. Great selection of Italian food and lots of it for fairly reasonable prices. Don't be put off by how small it looks from the outside, as it goes back quite a bit. May need to check table availability depending on what's on and when at the Playhouse.

The Blind Beggar biker pub on Broughton Road. Haven't been there for a long time but used to be one of my favourite pubs in Edinburgh with really friendly staff, fab bacon rolls served on paper plates, a great jukebox, snug and a kiddies swing park next door - what else could you want?!?

Monster Mash Cafe on Forrest Road. Tiny wee place so you might want to go in shifts! Cheap, cheerful grub. I'm a cider drinker so am well aware they don't sell it there (although probably not a problem for you as neither I or my German friends have ever found cider as I know it in Germany) but I do know they serve wine and beer there.

I don't have anything to do with the alternative club scene in Edinburgh these days so can't really tell you what is likely to be on but you could check out the likes of www.nightnews.net

Claire