[kj] OT: BNP on Question Time

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Fri Oct 23 06:32:42 EDT 2009

I wasn't going to watch, 'cos I figured it would be tedious, but then did.... and it was a hoot. Griffin is obviously intelligent (in a rather narrow way), but he mostly looked like a complete prick. If politics was always so entertaining, people would be way more engaged with it.

Top moments:

1. Griffin trying to weasel his way out of talking about denying the holocaust because "British law prevents me from explaining why I changed my mind". That alone was pretty funny (and lame), but then Jack Straw said that he was justice minister, and would guarantee that Griffin wouldn't face prosecution. So Griffin tried to say that French and German courts would have him for it, and Straw pointed out that they (the British courts) had refused extradition requests for this in the past. So Griffin then had to explain how British radio intercepts had convinced him.... which was about as lame as could be.

2. Griffin saying that David Duke was a member of "a non-violent Klan". Cue laughter all round.

3. Griffin explaining how he had had to say extreme things to his party in order to convert them into the nice cuddly BNP that now exists. I'm paraphrasing; the original was funnier and more damning.

4. Pretty much everything Bonnie Greer said. She was the only panellist who looked wholly at ease (IMHO) and she wiped the floor with NG every time she opened her mouth. Whereas the others treated him quite aggressively (albeit politely), she was totally friendly but utterly disdainful and almost amused by what a fool he was. I thought that that was way more effective.

Griffin also looked very nervous, which was funny. I guess it's a bit different having some smart people to debate with... compared to what he's used to.

A bad day for the BNP, I'd say.

Jamie