[kj] Play dead

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Fri May 1 15:15:56 EDT 2009

Actually you're right, but a) I'm 9/10 cut and b) I've never seen a sound
card that wouldn't play ball when disabled in the BIOS.? My advice was a bit
scrambled on second thought, what I should have said was.disable the onboard
card in the bios (as Darren said, also check that it's not being auto
configured via Plug & Play), go into Device Manager, & if it's still there,
disable it. Then go into control panel and make sure the add-on card is the
default sound device for everything and the other one doesn't show up at
all. At this stage if nothing works, check Google and email the
manufacturer. If all else fails upgrade the mobo & soundcard firmware (cos
it sounds like a BIOS fault if it's not obeying CMOS Setup config) and take
it from there.but check with the mobo manuf first to see if it's a known
fault.

Luckily updating BIOS firmware these days is a lot less painful and risky
than it was in the past.but still, if no probs with it then leave it alone
is a good rule of thumb, good call.

_____