[kj] (Very OT) Bruno - Autism

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Fri Jul 10 20:57:23 EDT 2009

I have to say that I'm with Leigh on this one. I also don't find humour
that's a little close to home (a family member of mine is a Jehovah's
Witness; I have Crohn's Disease - neither of these topics are off-limits for
me so far as humour goes). I have a friend who sadly suffered a miscarriage
a few years back; we were planning to go and see a film that made jokes
about abortion. Although she chose not to go, she acknowledged to me that
the reason was her recent experience, and not because she thought it was
wrong to make the film. I even think Madeline McCann jokes are OK (as the
father of three girls), so long as they indicate a degree of intelligence.
What I really don't get on with is lazy, unimaginative humour, and it is an
unfortunate coincidence that comedians with these qualities tend to try and
shock, as they've nothing else in their armament. One of my favourite films
in the world, "Kind Hearts And Coronets" (1949), is about mass murder.

Even when the few topics that are genuinely hideous, I generally find that
their treatment in humour (or more specifically satire) is appropriate. I'm
thinking now of the "Paedogeddon" episode of Brass Eye; it caused an
enormous outcry in the UK, when the media completely missed the point that
it wasn't making light of paedophilia, it was specifically satirising the
media's way of reporting the subject.

However, everyone's sense of humour is different (I don't find most of the
Monty Python TV episodes funny, for example - but love the films; I'm not
mad), and I support CG's right to be offended and unamused. Personally, I've
only walked out of two films in my life, mainly because it's so expensive
going to the cinema ("Absolute Beginners" was one; "Attack Of The Clones"
was the other).

I'm not a fan of Mr Baron-Cohen, however. A couple of his sketches as Ali G
made me laugh, before everyone knew what he was up to, but it all seems so
laboured and cynical these days. I shan't be watching Bruno, I don't
suppose.

Darren

Hungerford, UK