[kj] [OT] Music Snobbery

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 8 13:39:28 EDT 2009

Well, that's my point. I may know full well that, say, Kiss or The
Exploited or The Fixx or The Wonder Stuff make music that is bereft of
critical credibility, but my reasons for appreciating the music of
each of those bands (and scores of others) has nothing to do with
popular consensus or any easily quantifiable measurement of merit.
People identify with music because it speaks to them on some
indefinable level. This is largely why the world doesn't need music
critics. I could write volume after laboriously wordy volume about why
you shouldn't listen to indefensible piffle like Lady GaGa or Michael
Jackson, but if you like it -- you like it. And know cleverly-worded
screed penned by me or anyone else can change that. Music is about --
or should be about, at least -- emotion. Emotions cannot be controlled
so simply.

At the end of the day, if someone doesn't understand my affinity for
one artist or another, that's ultimately THEIR loss in the end. I know
full well that Kiss made largely meaningless music, but I still like
it. I'll lambast Michael Jackson's music as worthless product, but I
doubt that diminishes anyone else's fervor for it.

Alex in NYC