[kj] Glenn Close

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 10:17:04 EDT 2009

Fatal Attraction failed for me, not least because of the ending. The original script featured Alex (Close) committing suicide, leaving the guilt with Michael Douglas. John Carpenter was offered the chance to direct, and he thought the script was fine- but turned it down because he felt there was no chance that the original ending would remain unchanged. Sure enough, before the script was offered to another director the ending had been altered to the sanctimonious cop-out ending that was filed, essentially letting Michael Douglas off the hook because Close turned out to be a nutjob.

I've no doubt many people here have already seen it, but one of the films that got almost entirely ignored while Fatal Attraction was making millions at the box office was Joseph Ruben's The Stepfather, a scary, brutal, smart thriller that also takes a look at modern family life, but hits the mark a hell of a lot better than Fatal Attraction. If you haven't seen it yet, track it down before the remake hits theatres in October. It's a first-rate cult classic and one of the best unsung heroes of 1980s horror.

Sorry for the rant there!

Jim.