[kj] Antithesis of Killing Joke -- good catch

folk devil folk.devil at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 1 21:46:37 EDT 2009

Japan were a great band. Adolescent Sex and Tin Drum :)
As for DD, I bought Planet Earth, took it home, and wondered 'WTF?'
I prefer DDD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77WbnLHHZBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eGLhkpqssU&feature=related

From: dpeace at bigfoot.com
To: gathering at misera.net
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 02:32:36 +0100
Subject: Re: [kj] Antithesis of Killing Joke -- good catch

I still listen to the first DD album from time to time. Nothing
wrong with the next few either. “The Chauffeur” is a classic track.

But I must also acknowledge an abiding love for Japan. I first
saw them supporting Kiss (calm down Alex – freebie tickets from the
record shop I worked at) when they thought they were Hanoi Rocks (yes, I know,
but you see what I mean), and thought they were fantastic. Then Sylvian
re-taught himself to sing (and I’m sure he never heard a single Roxy
Music album, ever), and they turned into something even more marvellous.
Favourite track? Punter mix of “European Son”. But “...Rhodesia”,
“Suburban Berlin”, “Sons Of Pioneers”, the Nye “Taking
Islands In Africa”...

Even better, it was Barbieri’s involvement that caused me
to investigate the sublime Porcupine Tree, a band who have given me more
regular pleasure in the last few years than any other. Not like that.

Karn’s beetle dace still freaks me out, though.

Darren

Hungerford, UK