[kj] Jazz Coleman, what a bar stool

folk devil folk.devil at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 12:56:49 EST 2009

Do Kiwis still sing God save the queen, or just God save New Zealand?

From: bq at soundgardener.co.nzTo: gathering at misera.netDate: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 04:14:41 +1100Subject: Re: [kj] Jazz Coleman, what a bar stool

All I know is that the NZ National Anthem is now generally sung in Maori as well as English, Jeremy reckons he was instrumental in persuading Hine Mohi (I think) to sing it in Maori at a Rugby World Cup final in the 90s, which, apparently, caused a debate in NZ that raged for months and went all the way to Parliament (can’t remember any of this myself but it could have happened) and it now ‘officially’ has to be sung in both languages or some such. I read what she had to say about it and her version has Jaz as a somewhat lesser player, not surprisingly. To be honest no one in NZ really knows Hine or Jaz, and like most countries no one really cares about the National Anthem, other than wanting to change it to something less crusty, imperialistic and old farty.

From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On Behalf Of folk devilSent: Thursday, 29 January 2009 03:30To: gathering at misera.netSubject: Re: [kj] Jazz Coleman, what a bar stool

didn't he add one verse in Maori or something?he played it on the piano for us, during the 2003 tour :)