[kj] Jazz Coleman, what a bar stool

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Wed Jan 28 12:14:41 EST 2009

All I know is that the NZ National Anthem is now generally sung in Maori as
well as English, Jeremy reckons he was instrumental in persuading Hine Mohi
(I think) to sing it in Maori at a Rugby World Cup final in the 90s, which,
apparently, caused a debate in NZ that raged for months and went all the way
to Parliament (can't remember any of this myself but it could have happened)
and it now 'officially' has to be sung in both languages or some such. I
read what she had to say about it and her version has Jaz as a somewhat
lesser player, not surprisingly. To be honest no one in NZ really knows Hine
or Jaz, and like most countries no one really cares about the National
Anthem, other than wanting to change it to something less crusty,
imperialistic and old farty.

_____