[kj] Hitchcock

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Thu Feb 19 15:27:58 EST 2009

Oddly, I think that it was the sound design of "The Birds" that most struck me. Extraordinary soundtrack. The scale is impressive (he didn't often do outside with any sense of space), but that awful matte shot of the petrol station exploding pulls me straight out of it. I know it's contentious in Hitchcock circles, but I don't think Hedren carries this one off. She's impressive in "Marnie", though, even if it has dated badly. Trivia fact : the sailor in the final flashback in "Marnie" is played by Bruce Dern, who takes a far more substantial role in "Family Plot" opposite William Devane's extraordinarily wide mouth.

Darren
Hungerford, UK