[kj] (OT) Cramps Singer Lux Interior Dead?

The Mighty TB planetary at socal.rr.com
Wed Feb 4 22:50:15 EST 2009

"B. Oliver Sheppard" wrote:

> You know, another thing I realized is that they are one of the original

> wave of US punk bands from the 70s that just kept it up, never broke up

> (hence no cash-in reunions to big fanfare), and since they were not one

> hit wonders, and no one died early on, but they kept plugging away, they

> were easy to overlook. (Like KJ, even, maybe?)

Well, they did lose Brian (Bryan) Gregory who was a major part of their
original rockabilly/fuzz twin guitar driven sound after their debut album
and EP and went through more drummers and bass players than Spinal Tap
throughout their career. Kinda like The Cult's Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy
(and to a lesser extent, KJ's Jaz n' Geordie), it's the core members of Lux
and his wife Poison Ivy that was really the "band."

> Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat/Fugazi said the first punk show he went to in

> the late 1970s was the Cramps. They don't neatly fit the punk category,

> but I'd also argue that The Cramps and the original Misfits ('77 - '83)

> pioneered the whole b-movie, creature feature aspect of punk that became

> psychobilly, gothabilly, horror punk, etc., etc.

That's pretty much correct. In fact, I think Lux stole the "psychobilly"
tag from an old Johnny Cash song to describe their type of music around '78.

T.B.