[kj] (OT) Cramps Singer Lux Interior Dead?

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 4 22:24:08 EST 2009

You know, another thing I realized is that they are one of the original
wave of US punk bands from the 70s that just kept it up, never broke up
(hence no cash-in reunions to big fanfare), and since they were not one
hit wonders, and no one died early on, but they kept plugging away, they
were easy to overlook. (Like KJ, even, maybe?)

Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat/Fugazi said the first punk show he went to
in the late 1970s was the Cramps. They don't neatly fit the punk
category, but I'd also argue that The Cramps and the original Misfits
('77 - '83) pioneered the whole b-movie, creature feature aspect of punk
that became psychobilly, gothabilly, horror punk, etc., etc.

-Oliver