[kj] OT : White Lies

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Sun Feb 1 19:26:16 EST 2009

My timeline:

Saw them on that ghastly Jools honkytonk program, noted as interesting and to look out for album.

Heard "Unfinished Business" on (of all things) the radio - daughter insisting on Radio One in the car to subject me to R&B bollocks has the occasional benefit, although introducing me to the delights of Yo Yo or whatever he's called not being one of them. Remind self to watch out for album. Put out feelers.

Receive email from friend in A&R who has a promo of album, who is kind enough to send me a rip.

Become aware of rusty grindings as hype machine shifts up a gear. Points lost, but superceded by frequency of album on ipod playlist.

Decide EST is brilliant. Order Death & Unfinished Business singles.

Note with disappointment that only limited album is to be vinyl permutations. If I like an album, I'll buy any limited version or, in the absence of a limited run, download it (normally from dodgy torrent) until the standard version is in the HMV sales.

Realise I'm still listening to album daily. Succumb, and pay what goes for full price these days for the standard CD.

Admire CD on shelf, and wonder if the Editors guy did the artwork for this too.

Wonder why reviews all mention Cope and Joy Division, but not early OMD, who are a distinct influence? Realise I like every track on the album, and wonder if I've heard a stronger debut in the last year, despite occasionally awkward lyrics.

And to clear up any confusion, I also very much like Editors and Interpol, both of whom I've also really rated live.

Darren

Hungerford, UK