[kj] [OT] King Crimson 5.1

ceplaster at aol.com ceplaster at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 00:10:49 EDT 2009

Not sure I understand what you're saying, but as far as 5.1 mixing goes, you can basically do it any way you want.   You can do it the way you describe and make things sound very authentic and honest.  For example, there are some 5.1 releases of the berlin philharmonic doing all the Beethoven symphonies.  If you listen to those, it makes you feel like you are sitting in the middle of the hall.  The orchestra is towards the front, and you get mostly ambience in the back speakers.
    By comparison,  you can mix 5.1 stuff where stuff can pop out of any speaker at any given time. It's all up to the mix engineer.   A great example of this is  "the sound of punk to come" by the Refused, the 5.1 mix is even more jarring than the stereo version.     - Carl