[kj] OT: People I've accosted.

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 19 19:36:49 EDT 2008

"who was the most amicable "famous" peep that you approached?"

Okay, here we go:

- Michael Gira of SWANS/Angels of Light: Saw him -- Very randomly --
buying a suit in Brooks Brothers while wearing a big fuckoff cowboy
hat. Introduced myself and he was incredibly cool.

- Mike Watt (Minutemen/fIREHOSE): He was dancing like a loon at a
Blues Explosion show. Told him I was a big fan, and he was very chatty
and all smiles.

- Grant Hart (Husker Du/Nova Mob): He was at House of Freaks show at
Mercury Lounge. VERY chatty as well, but very bad breath.

- Bobby Steele of the Undead: He's a regular fixture in the East
Village and always very happy to shoot the breeze.

- Iggy Pop: He was sitting in front of Sin-E on St. Marks (no long
gone). I was walking by. I saw him and exclaimed: "Holy shit, that's
Iggy!" He smiled goofily and gave me a thumbs-up. Very weird.

- Billy Ficca of Televsion: Saw him only a few weeks back having a
smoke on St. Mark's Place. Very cool. We stopped and chatted and about
five minutes. Very down to earth dude,...unlike:

- Tom Verlaine of Television: I see him all the time, but he is always
a grouch.

- Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth: Approached him on the subway, and he was
completely keen to talk about bands and new stuff he was listening to.

- Jon Spencer of Blues Explosion/Pussy Galore - He actually came up to
ME after his son stepped on my daughter's toe by accident. Very nice
guy. Wished me a "Merry Christmas" as well. Very odd.

- Johnny Ramone on MacDougal Street - he was kinda a dick, actually.

Alex in NYC