[kj] Current Fav K.J. song

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 16 00:43:20 EDT 2008

I make no excuses for it my love of Hosannas. I love it. It's the
(double) LP KJ needed to make at the time they made it.

Comparisons to _St. Anger_ are off-target. People said _St. Anger_ was
Metallica's pathetic, contrived attempt to get "back to their roots,"
vis a vis that one Rancid LP where Rancid tried to show people they
hadn't sold out, merely by playing fast, which seemed so fake it was
laughable. To my knowledge, though, before Hosannas, KJ had never made
an outright d-beat song ("Hosannas," the title track), or anything as
Motorhead-y as "Implosion," a very cool track, doesn't everyone admit...?

In short, KJ were not attempting to recapture any past glory; they were
fleshing out aspects latent in earlier material, but never brought to
fruition. And anyone who hates the "metal" aspect of KJ needs a serious
reality check. "The Wait" is arguably -- ARGUABLY -- the first
punk-metal crossover song. Ever. "Tabazan," for ex., has an amazingly
metallic throb to it, and is prescient as far as Mid-Eastern type metal
riffs go. There has aways been that latent METAL side to KJ that some
people -- people who prefer posh New Romantic-type stuff -- may not
like, but has nonetheless always been there.

"The Tribal Antidote," for example, to me sort of rehashes the main
guitar riff of the also-awesome "Absent Friends" off _Democracy_, like
some say "Majestic" does for another song - but it is just the perfect
song for the era (2006) and whether KJ were drunk and sloppy or not when
they made it I think _Hosannas_ is a damn fine release. It was and is a
kind of missing link in their discography.

-Oliver