[kj] (OT) The Fall

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Sat Sep 13 03:13:21 EDT 2008

Watched it tonight as an impulse blu-ray rental and while I was first a bit
bored by the sorta slow pace at the beginning, it really came together
during the last third with a strong emotional payoff. One of those movies
I had no idea what to expect and wound up being pretty blown away by.
Directed by "Tarsem," the guy who did the visually stunning by overall
obnoxious serial killer flick "The Cell," this movie might be superficially
thought of as a kind of new "Princess Bride" but it is really so much more,
especially visually.

It is a story that takes place in a kind of 1920's setting about a stunt man
that was left paralyzed after a silent film stunt who's recovering in a
hospital. Bedridden and depressed because he also lost the love of his life
seemingly to another actor, he's lost his will to live. At the hospital, a
little girl recovering from a broken arm befriends him, and he begins to
tell her a fairy tale with a dark purpose that we, the viewers see through
the imagination of the little girl.

Highly recommended.

T.B.