[kj] ON TOPIC : "The Peel Sessions 1979-1981" delivered

pssyche23 antoni at clara.net
Mon Sep 8 16:12:05 EDT 2008

Oh yes, oh yes, it's finally arrived ... just in time for the end of the
world (ie. the LHC @ CERN gets switched on in 2 days) ... or not :o)

Artwork by Colesy ... liner notes by Alex Paterson ... these wonderful BBC
radio sessions finally released in an official capacity via KJRE9.

Many of the old guard will have these on fading old C90's or maybe (taped
off the radio) MP3's such as Nuclear Boy and Malicious Boogie which were put
on the "Unspeakable" bootleg compilation but I'd recommend these alternative
versions to more recent converts, as many of the tracks sound very different
to those found on the original studio albums. My personal favourite has
always been Butcher, which has a melodic feel far removed from the
mechanical WTF version. Also of note is Empire Song with a funky and less
metallic feel and a superb pounding drums (as per live) replacing the
standard fade out ending. Great to see that the Richard Skinner session from
1981 was also included, especially as Tension was again very different to
the earlier Peel version (both different to the WTF version).

Slight cock up with the sleeve as the recorded and first transmission dates
they have for sessions #3 and #4 are the same. Doh. For information, the
first transmission dates are correct (#3 27/04/1981 and #4 16/12/1981 - an
early Xmas present or what !!!) but the recorded dates were 14/04/1981 (#3)
and 11/12/1981 (#4). I didn't have this noted down anywhere, rather had the
benefit of being bought Ken Garner's "The Peel Sessions" book on my birthday
!

Anyway, for the miserly sum of 8.99 GBP, it is now in my posession and I'm a
very happy boy. Do yerself a favour a buy one.

Regards, Antoni

* http://home.clara.net/antoni/mystuff.html *