[kj] OT - The Exorcist

Bette Dillinger bettedillinger at live.com
Mon Sep 8 14:29:30 EDT 2008

Hey Ya,
I think "Rosemary's Baby" beats "The Omen" and "The Exorcist" as chilling movies about kids and ze dark side. I certainly didn't think "The Wicker Man" was as scary as an episode of "Matlock" (Andy Griffith is a freaking fundie still making music videos.....there is no one scarier! ) but the bizarre Persephone outfit of Lee at the end of that film as well as the Jesus Christ posing of Edward Woodward made it VERY memorable and creepy.

The last movie that creeped me out was "Three Extremes". Especially the first story about the woman trying to retain her beauty.

I certainly don't think that "The Shining" deserves merely a "cursory viewing". It is a horrific metaphor for the nuclear family and the US. Kubrick did not intend for it to be just a "horror film". And who would not be shocked upon seeing that scene with the blood exiting the elevator for the first time?

I also think "Carrie" deserves a nod (sorry if someone already mentioned this film). That is a movie that is unforgettable.

Happy Haunting,
Bette > Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:04:12 -0700> From: angrytomhanks at yahoo.com> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] OT - The Exorcist> > Some good ones in there. Session 9! Great, great movie. Very creepy. Very weird to see David Caruso putting in some decent acting, yeah. Martin, another great movie. Very weird and melancholy. > > http://www.nightruiner.com> http://www.myspace.com/thesunthroughatelescope> http://www.myspace.com/lauderdale> > > > ----- Original Message ----> From: Darren A. Peace <dpeace at bigfoot.com>> To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!) <gathering at misera.net>> Sent: Monday, September 8, 2008 3:21:48 AM> Subject: Re: [kj] OT - The Exorcist> > I didn't mean that the Wicker Man was scary (although the final 5 minutes or> so, once you realise what's been going on, were terrifying to me).> > Regarding "scary" films (great list, TB! I'll second Seven, Jacob's Ladder,> Henry & Witchfinder General and would raise you):> > Alice, Sweet Alice> Polanski's Repulsion & (particularly) The Tenant> Blue Velvet over Eraserhead> My Little Eye> The Descent> Night Of The Demon> The Haunting of Hill House> Romero's Martin over NOTLD> The Hole> Blair Witch 2 (only joking)> Peeping Tom> Lumet's The Offence> Session 9 (David Caruso in good film shock!)> 10 Rillington Place> > And to broaden the international feel:> > Anatomy> The first Japanese Ringu> Audition (devastating final act)> Santa Sangre> Les Diaboliques (original)> Funny Games (original)> Eyes Without A Face> Das Experiment> Kwaidan> Onibaba> Dark Water> > And as a coup de grace:> > Suspiria (Argento was a bona fide film-making genius in the Seventies)> > And to my mind the most terrifying film I've seen,> > The Dutch Vanishing (Spoorlos)> > Darren> Hungerford, UK> > -----Original Message-----> From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On> Behalf Of TB> Sent: 08 September 2008 04:16> To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)> Subject: Re: [kj] OT - The Exorcist> > "Alexander Smith" wrote:> > Don't get me wrong -- I love "The Wicker Man" (Edward Woodward> original, not that Nic Cage bullshit), but it's about as scary as an> episode of "Matlock".> > ++++++++++> > I really like the original Wicker Man and like Darren mentioned, checked it > our because of the Chris Lee/Hammer connection. But I also agree it's far > from being a truly scary flick. I also agree that The Exorcist *is* a > genuinely creepy film, at least in it's original incarnation and stands the > test of any really solid horror film in that it stays with you in a > fundamental way long after the first viewing. I noticed someone mentioned > Exocist 3, while not a great movie, it too has some extraordinary scares and> > disturbing imagery in it (the old woman crawling like a bug on the ceiling > almost out of frame, the final near-decapitation).> > Other movies off the top of my head that have some creepy and/or scary > moments that don't neccesarily rely on gore include:> > The Hitcher (original with Rutgar Hauer)> Seven> Jacobs Ladder> Freaks> The Machinist> Eraserhead> Open Water> > Then there's some that have gore but are profoundly scary almost in spite of> > the gore content:> > Alien> Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer> Witchfinder General> Texas Chainsaw Massacre> Night of the Living Dead (original)> > Probably the most disturbing single scene in a movie for me was the fight > between the Nazi and the American soldier in "Saving Private Ryan' which > culiminated in the German slowing pushing his knife into the American's > heart.> > T.B. > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering> > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering> > > > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering