[kj] OT - The Exorcist

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 07:20:27 EDT 2008

Sorry, my disbelief concerning Blatty and Friedkin's statements about their film is not so much 'ill-informed' as 'a reasoned judgement', and I'm not entirely alone either. I've read the novel more times than I've seen the movie (and it's an excellent book), and I can honestly say that in my opinion it doesn't actually have much to do with the mysteries of faith. With the exception of Karras' soul-searching, which never really gets beyond a basic level, both book and novel are far more interested in the mechanics of horror than any religious questions.

I didn't claim The Exorcist has no subtext; I said it has bugger all to do with the mysteries of faith. Like many horror films (including The Omen), The Exorcist has a wealth of subtext.
I just don't buy the idea that the film is a meditation on faith. It *is* an exploitation film- even today people are still lured in to see it on the basis that it's really scary/really gross/really unpleasant etc- but that doesn't mean it's a bad or stupid or irrelevant film.

Jim.