[kj] OT - The Exorcist

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 18:52:27 EDT 2008

"One of the only really, truly scary movies."

I'm afraid I can't agree there. The Exorcist is a good film, but it's not a 'truly scary movie', and there's more than a few.

There are plenty of acknowledged 'classic' horror films that aren't worth more than a cursory watch, just so you can say you've seen it (The Shining and The Wicker Man fit the bill very nicely). To Friedkin's credit, he does at least ensure that The Exorcist doesn't turn into the kind of colossal monument to tedium that those two films are, but he does fall short of the 'classic' he usually gets landed with. I've always preferred The Omen. I realise comparing those two films- The Exorcist and The Omen- is likely to get me lynched, but The Omen is a more entertaining film. Mainly because it doesn't try to hide what it is. Both films are trashy exploitation, but whereas The Omen accepts that and gets on with business of being a really fun piece of trashy exploitation, The Exorcist (mainly through William Friedkin and William Peter Blatty, who spun the same crap about his novel when it came out) tries to pass itself off as a serious meditation on the
mystery of Faith. Bollocks. Aside from one line, faith is never even mentioned. It's just a scary, gross horror movie, but one with ideas above its station.

My apologies for the rambling there!

Jim.

NOW AVAILABLE: Flowers From Hell: The Modern Japanese Horror Film, by Jim Harper (Noir Publishing).

"Fascinating overview of the Japanese horror boom... Comprehensive, in-depth and slickly presented."- DVD Monthly.

Available from Noir Publishing, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and all good bookstores.