[kj] (OT) Israel .

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 18:23:38 EDT 2008

I hate to be picky Pat, but there are few historians who would describe those people as 'Celtic'. The Celts were of Indo-European stock, and they colonised the greater part of the British Isles, wiping out the original residents (the people you refer to) in all but a few areas. Descendants of those first peoples continued to exist in some areas- the Picts are the most famous example- and you can still see their DNA evident in the short and dark residents of North Wales, in contrast to the tall blonde look of the Celts. By the time the Romans arrived, Celt people had asserted their dominance over the entire island, with the exception of Highland Scotland.

Those first people were certainly Brittanic, but they were not Celtic. The vast majority of British DNA is Celtic in origin, with successive invasions by Romans, Angle-Saxons, Danes, Norwegians and Normans having left comparatively little impact on our genes. These invaders might have been strong enough to politically control the island, but they lacked the numbers necessary to completely obliterate all preceding races.

Jim.

NOW AVAILABLE: Flowers From Hell: The Modern Japanese Horror Film, by Jim Harper (Noir Publishing).

"Fascinating overview of the Japanese horror boom... Comprehensive, in-depth and slickly presented."- DVD Monthly.

Available from Noir Publishing, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and all good bookstores.