[kj] NY, another bloody review

Matthew Burke marsboy1 at msn.com
Wed Oct 15 15:22:29 EDT 2008

Can't add more than's been added. Still walking glad with the memory of the weekend. The ferocity with which the old material was delivered was truly impressive. Very flattering to a fan. And a strengthening of faith to know that a true giant of the post-punk era still has its dignity intact. Anyone that experienced the power of the shows on this tour realizes this was an utterly legitimate project, and hopefully only the start of something bigger.

Highlights have already been listed here, Saturday was gold, and the added bonuses on Sunday of a precise and driving MINOG, with it's deafening sing along chorus which eventually brought Jaz to grin (in that he could whip out an 18 year old song and get such a reaction, or that folks still agree with him), and Pandemonium with its enormous Zeppelin symphony stomp.

Technical problems interfered with the excitement only slightly, and they'll eventually be forgotten, like getting sick on vacation. My biggest let down was no Love Like Blood on Sunday, as I'd hoped to bellow for Raven one more time.

Attended Saturday with my two oldest friends, whom I hadn't shared a KJ show with since 1991. They only recently returned to NY and may have to leave just as quickly, so it was a special night on that count alone.

Took the wife to her first KJ show on Sunday, she was wholly impressed. My 3 year old daughter already requests to watch the "scary man" on the Gathering dvd, so the whole family should be in line soon.

Great to meet some Gatherers, sorry if I was a little unsocial, I was recovering from a back injury (I'm old!), this also explains any poor dancing on my part, I normally don't pogo on one leg and shake my head in spasm if anyone was paying attention. Curiously, my ailment was better after the long tiring weekend. Another KJ miracle!

Hope next time is sooner than later!