[kj] For those who miss the old Geordie sound

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Mon Oct 13 23:52:11 EDT 2008

"fluw" wrote:

> Thanks for those links matthew, I needed an antidote.

> It is so sad: geordie's instrument used to drive the joke's atmosphere,

> and

> emote the most complex harmonic maelstrom. now it is merely a pretty pom

> pom

> shish-shing underneath the sub harmonic din of mis-aligned woofer waves.

> His guitar is either feeding back - if he doesn't turn the volume pot down

> during breaks in the music - or it is a buzzy little bee dying in jar a

> thousand miles away.

> Last night's performance was as if Geordie were a golden harp bedecked

> mime.

> At times I forgot he was even on stage, and had to remind myself to listen

> for him, incase a note or something recognizable as a familiar sound

> presented itself from his side of the stage.

Eh, I thought he sounded fine and well balanced in the mix in LA. It's true
he doesn't have that overly chime-y, ringing tone that's readily apparent in
the Youtube clip of "Sun Goes Down" from '85 anymore, but he sounded a lot
better than the incredibly over-driven, feedback drenched tone he had when I
saw him in '03.

BTW, I'm probably stating the obvious, but did Billy Duffy of The Cult ever
cite Geordie as a big influence because he certainly nicked Geordie's basic
tone down to playing a somewhat similar kind of guitar (Gretsch) and maybe
even Geordie's look during The Cult's Dreamtime/Love era.

T.B.