[kj] KJ NYC 2008 Saturday night

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 12 10:44:04 EDT 2008

Agree with Ron's edits on the setlist there. I'm completely beat. Soon as the lights came up, wife and I staggered out, whole body aching. Excellent show. Random exhausted thoughts follow.

Great to meet a few gatherers, great to see Big Paul and Youth in form. Odd to see someone crowd surf right after Love Like Blood was dedicated to Raven. My favorite parts were when Youth got really into his funky bass, pretty much any time Big Paul banged away on the toms (he made Unspeakable and Follow the Leaders and Fall of Because look so much easier and smooth than I ever imagined they could look). To see all of them singing their parts was like the world renewed by fire made whole.

Sound: From where we stood (40-50 feet back, a little to Youth's side of center), I could hear Youth, Big Paul, and usually Jaz clearly. But Geordie's sound was obscured, which was my only disappointment (Still, grand scheme of things: Youth/Big Paul are ultimately who I most wanted to hear, having never seen them perform before). Crazy that the only time I truly heard Geordie's wail -- other than when the rest of the band dropped out (like middle bit in Empire Song) -- was during Timewave, where he sounded really good! Think we'll try a different spot tonight.

What an epic time. Must rest up for tonight.

Jiri