[kj] OT: New scientifical evidenc of Life on Mars

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Fri Nov 28 05:58:34 EST 2008

Actually the more I think about it, the more it seems a really interesting
question. For example, there is a far out theory amongst some physicists
that our universe has an outer membrane (which they call brane), and there
is interaction between the branes of various universes...which creates
different physics in that area due to pressure or gravity or something.

The question IS...does that mean that different laws of physics apply? I
think it does. Although you could argue that the laws themselves aren't
any different...in that they can be understood, and if the same
circumstances were present elsewhere, you could predict what would happen.
(?!)

hrm...

What about black holes...the laws of physics are said to 'break down'
within the event horizon. But black holes are merely postulated, not
proven, might not exist at all...and even if they do...whatever happens
inside the event horizon, no matter how freaky it is, could theoretically
be understood. So again, it's about definition. Are the physics different,
or are the laws of physics different...

There's a lot of out there theories from physicists. Check out Boltzman
brains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain

> Very good points, there; I stand instructed. [yer one of those 'readers,'

> arent'cha?] Clearly we know

> more of Mars and space than I thought.

> (have you run all this by Jaz??)

> ________________________________

> From: Brendan Quinn <bq at soundgardener.co.nz>

not in terms of our knowledge of its elements

> (insofar as what we know about the elements, which is admittedly

> incomplete at the quantum level, but we do know broadly how they work at

> the macro level), and the energy forces that act on it (the

> electromagnetic radiation it’s subject to, the gravity it exerts and that

> is exerted upon it, and the nuclear forces that hold its atoms together

).

> We can predict it’s trajectory through space with a high degree of

> accuracy within x thousands / millions of years, based on our

> understanding of the effects (not cause) of gravity

> And to me it seems logical to look for life on other planets based on

> looking for artificial structures, whether they look like human faces or

> not is irrelevant. I’m not defending the guy’s methods or findings at all,

> just saying that I think science is the best bet we have for finding

> evidence of life on mars, and I don’t think there’s much bias involved in

> using the scientific method as our main tool. Nor any reason to expect

> that the rules of physics are any different anywhere else in the

> universe

we just don’t have a proper grasp of them yet (understatement).