[kj] (OT) Worst Singers - barbarisms

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sun Nov 16 16:01:22 EST 2008

Obama hasn't been filmed at Bohemia Grove taking part in mock child
sacrifice ceremonies yet, so I suppose that's one tick in his favour. What a
surreal thing to point that out and actually mean it as well (?!). The
modern world all reads like some fucking weird 1970s novel, it's surreal at
times.

He just seems a little too perfect for my liking.perfectly opposite to Bush
& McCain, young vs old, black vs white, Islamic name, etc. etc. But the job
description of US President has such a bunch of pre-conditions which
exemplify that power behind the throne.you basically have to be a christian
corporate tool and broadly agree with foreign military interventionism to
have a shit's show of getting in. It's a bit weird how money is allowed to
skew the odds in the elections so much over there as well, if what I heard
is true then McCain lived up to his promise and Obama didn't. What are the
odds Obama wouldn't have gotten in without that money? Although to some
extent too it was a symptom of public support.but advertising works.

>From what I'm aware of, China has stricter standards on vehicle fuel

efficiency for new cars in some areas than the 'States.that's embarrassing.
There comes a point where the market is allowed to decide in favour of more
competitive companies and all the political lobbying and backhanders can't
compete against foreign companies that just make cheaper more reliable and
efficient cars, foreign economies that aren't as wasteful with energy
resources & that price labour at a fraction of what it is in the US &
Europe. It's happening right now, consumer demand for vehicles & gas has
gone down sharply, GM & Ford are both feeling the pain.Ford went into the
luxury SUV market (?!) and got stung pretty badly when people started
shunning the gas guzzlers. And if left to the mercy of the market, GM would
be a lost proposition. (The global shitstorm spreads into the real market.)

It's all so Darwinian at the moment, the free-marketeers have been promoting
the self-correcting market for how long, but they hate to see it actually
happen. ARGH! Intervene, we need taxpayer money to bail out the banks or we
all go under! Apart from being so grossly unfair, it's all so 1929.and Obama
not wanting to tip the boat.IMO what's gonna happen is gonna happen, and the
most important thing is to wear the pain as quickly as possible and
re-structure in such a way as to reduce the risk and impact if it happens
again. But that actually requires forethought, independent action, living up
to promises, and not pissing off the incumbent monied & influential.so it's
ain't gonna happen. Unfortunately, the storm is coming one way or another,
and it's flinging some of the the largest corporations in the world out of
its path.($26 trillion and counting.)

I'm really bullish renewable power, and that's one positive I think Obama
has on his side, if he actually goes ahead with it, which is yet to be seen.
Look at what the railroads did to the US economy.I reckon a big push towards
renewable energy infrastructure building could have the same economic
stimulus. Plus at the end of it you end up with a more competitive and
resilient economy (due to not needing to rely so much on foreign oil and
'people who hate us'), you have not only the moral authority to frown at the
Indians and Chinese, but the ability to partner with them at home and abroad
in transitioning to a new system, to the mutual benefit of all.and you lose
some of the stigma Bush has managed to attach to the US. The oil lobby will
do their utmost to slow that down as much as they possibly can.all the while
working on a plan to transition themselves into a position of control and
build in artificial scarcity and cost into the system. That's why I'd prefer
it was done by govt and other non-profits orgs, the profit motive will just
ensure it's done with only that in mind. There's just no incentive for them
to develop to cheap ubiquitous power, despite how feasible it actually is.

We are lucky enough in NZ to have a tiny population and loads of choppy
rivers so we're already sitting at something like 80% + renewable due to
hydro, and are moving towards 100% in 1-2 decades. Plus a huge food surplus,
which is why I'm not as concerned with the future as other countries,
despite the economy being so meagre.

PS: Hope those fires are under control.

_____