[kj] OT: The Venus Project

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Fri Nov 14 12:30:45 EST 2008

I have sorta been expecting something like this ever since the web came
into being, or even email. Replication of memes is incredibly fast and
almost impossible to stop by the corporate lobby.

They have some interesting ideas.

I already agree that rational, intelligent, well educated, unbiased minds
(scientists in particular) should have far more say, over corporates,
politicians, the religious lobby etc. Irrational lobby groups have far too
much say.

I agree that the military are an anachronism to a large extent (although
until every disarms, there's no way you could go whole hog in one
step...but the US pulling military out from o/s bases for example would be
a start...)

I agree that as soon as you remove people from behind the wheel of cars
and implement a decent automated system, you'll basically kiss goodbye to
the road toll. As much as petrol heads will be annoyed (tough)

What I find interesting is their idea that human nature is largely
irrelevant - it's the environment that dictates behaviour. In the absence
of scarcity, people tend to be nice and share with each other. With
scarcity and fear of scarcity, and hugely unequal distribution of wealth,
to the point that many don't even have the basics...you end up with
poverty, crime, poor health etc.

Most of what they say makes perfect sense. I dunno about moving to a
system of no money (Jaz agrees), but I do like the idea of doing away with
countries.

Interesting stuff, kind of what I've been harping on about for a while.

Wonder how big their island is...?

)